Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Review: Tofurky Breakfast Links (vegan)


Tofurkey Breakfast Links packaging
 Sausage is one of those things from my pre-vegetarian days that I really enjoyed a lot. I've made my own sausages, and I've had Morningstar Farms and quite liked the taste and texture, but it was time to try something completely vegan, so I picked up a package of Tofurky Breakfast Links for about $4.25.

The recommended preparation: "Cut diagonally into 3/4" slices or cut down the middle lengthwise and pan fry until golden brown." So... that's what I did, as you can see. I coated the pan with a little non-stick spray and used medium-high heat. They looked quite attractive.

Time for a bite. The texture was a bit soft and spongy - not surprising as the primary ingredients are water, vital wheat gluten, canola oil, and tofu. I would like a little firmer texture, but they were acceptable. Next time I might use slightly more oil in the pan and crisp them up a little more.

Prepared per package suggestion

On seeing the flecks of black pepper and red pepper, I wondered how spicy they would be - but not to fear, they were somewhere between mild and medium. (My five-year-old said, "Mommy, the reason I don't like these is I need to take a drink every bite. They're too spicy." But she's also at a very picky stage in her food life.)

After the first link, I ate the next one wrapped up in a piece of toast with sweet & spicy mustard. Lovely! The mustard really complimented the seasoning in the sausage.

The links are sizeable for breakfast, about the size of a traditional hot dog. They'd be a nice alternative to veggie dogs on the grill. I'd think like them with grilled onions or kraut.

Nutrition commentary: 4g of fiber, yay! 11g of protein, yay! Too bad they don't reduce the sodium content.

Nutrition info per link, from the packaging:

Size: 1.6 oz. (5 per package)
Calories: 130
Fat cal: 50
Total fat: 6g
Sat fat, trans fat, & cholesterol: 0g
Sodium: 330mg (14%DV)
Total carb: 6g
Fiber: 4g
Sugars: 1g
Protein: 11g
Vitamin A, Vitamin C: 0%
Calcium: 2%
Iron: 4%

Bottom line: I would buy them again if they were on sale, or if I was having omni guests, as they have the traditional look of sausages. On the other hand, I can (and have), made my own sausages which are just as tasty, for less money. But if convenience is a factor for you, these are definitely worth trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment