Powered By Blogger

Monday, May 9, 2011

Indian Cauliflower Curry Recipe


Cauliflower Curry

I was in the mood for curry, but don’t have garam masala on hand. When I came across this recipe, I had to try it. (http://bit.ly/9c2Kss) I already had all the spices on hand, and fresh ginger – perhaps you do, too? I liked that it didn’t call for anything too exotic, and the description said “This authentic Indian curry recipe is both vegetarian and vegan.” Well, I’m all for authentic.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
2 tbsp sesame seeds
3 tbsp peanuts
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions, diced
1 cauliflower, chopped
1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice

Preparation:

In a blender or food processor, grind together the ginger, sesame seeds, peanuts, garlic, spices and water. Sautee the onions in vegetable oil over medium high heat about 3-5 minutes, or until onions turn clear. Add cauliflower and spices mixture and cover. Allow to cook another 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally until cauliflower is almost done. Add lemon juice and allow to cook for 3 more minutes. Enjoy!

I have a two-cup food processor which I thought would be great for making the spice mixture. I ended up having to add some liquid to actually get the stuff to grind. I added another TBS of water and 1 TBS of olive oil. It did smell heavenly though!

As I was breaking my head of cauliflower into florets, I realized that it was a huge head of cauli, so I only used half of it. In addition, I added one small potato (diced, with the skin - to remove it is a sin!) at the same time as the onion, and a small green pepper when I added the cauli.

Perhaps I didn’t have the heat high enough, but it took much longer than 10-12 minutes for the cauliflower to be done.

Might I suggest adding some extra firm tofu? Maybe some chickpeas too. If you wanted to be fancy with the thing, a slight char on the cauliflower would add something to the dish - perhaps this could be accomplished with a few minutes of broiling the cauliflower before adding it to the recipe.

The recipe couldn’t be much simpler. The end result was pretty. Although it didn’t have the complexity of some of the Indian dishes I completely adore, it was quick and satisfied my need for Indian food, and it was really quite tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment