Powered By Blogger

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Quick Sweet Potato & Rosemary Pizza

This isn't really a recipe (no exact proportions) as much as an idea. I'd been craving sweet potato and rosemary pizza, and if you've ever tried it, you'll know why. If you've never tried it before, you must. Here's what I did - I had one medium sized sweet potato, and it made three flatbread pizzas. Don't skip the rosemary, pepper, or olive oil - they add a lot of fragarance and flavor. I'm sure you could use whatever crust you wanted or make your own. But with flatbreads (pitas, wraps, whatever), it's really easy, and really fast... and of course, really quite tasty. [EDIT: I have just learned from the company that Flatout breads are not vegan; wanted you to know.]


Ingredients:
Flatout Flatbread Healthy Grain Multi-Grain with Flax
Extra firm water packed tofu
Sweet potato, raw
Daiya mozzarella style shreds
Rosemary
Freshly ground pepper
Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar or balsamic syrup

Preparation
Preheat the oven to 375F. Press the water out of the tofu and slice it as thinly as possible. With a vegetable peeler, peel the sweet potato into strips/slices. On each flatbread, sprinkle a little Daiya, then arrange the tofu and sweet potato slices on top. Sprinkle with more Daiya, rosemary, and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and a dash of balsamic vinegar, and bake until crust is starting to crisp and the Daiya is melty. (I baked two of them on an extra large pizza pan, side-by-side; the third one I baked right on the rack - each way worked fine, I just had to watch them.)

I ate two of them, by myself, because they were so good. Oops. (Oh well, with the Flatouts, at least they weren't all that calorie-laden!)


What are your favorite vegetarian/vegan pizza toppings? What's the most unusual thing you've had on pizza?

5 comments:

  1. I have all these ingredients laying around, I might make tonight, sounds good! Did you do anything to the tofu before puttin on the pizza?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pressed in in my Tofu X-Press for about an hour ahead of time, and sliced it quite thin. Soggy tofu won't do on a pizza; taking the time to get it quite dry made for a nice texture. But if you're asking if I seasoned or marinated it... nope. It kind of reminded me of a very mild cheese and it started to crisp very lightly. If you don't have a Tofu X-Press, you can use the old "clean towel and weighted plates" trick. I hope it works well, let me know how your pizza turns out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you use fresh rosemary? The one I have at home is not fresh, it is very aromatic but quite hard when eaten, even after being baked. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have dried whole rosemary. You can try rubbing it between your palms to break it up some. Or grind it in a coffee grinder, or by hand in mortar and pestle. Should be good to go after that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What Renee said. I used dried and just crushed it in my palms. The scent was heavenly!

    ReplyDelete